Friday, March 03, 2006

Dear Mr Ellis

The complaint I was talking about earlier was basically that Black Cabs are allowed to pick up and drop off passengers on Red Routes but mini cabs can't. As mini cab drivers are now licensed by the same people who license the black cabs I don't see why this is or why mini-cab drivers should be prosecuted just for doing their job. My MP agreed with me and asked for an explanation and the letter I got back didn't give one. So this is what I have written to him.

Mr Ellis

My MP, Susan Kramer, just wrote to you on my behalf regarding the legality of Private Hire Drivers picking up and setting down on Red Routes. I have just received a copy of your reply for which I thank you. However I do have a question, which as head of the authority who issued my license I believe you should be able to answer.

One of our regular customers broke her foot in a fall and had to have a steel pin inserted. At the moment she can only walk with the aid of crutches and is using the company I work for to attend all of her usual appointments. She usually has two heavy bags with her that she is unable to carry. This lady lives on a red route with no authorised stopping bay close by and two of the places we take her to are on red routes where the bays are usually already in use.

If I were to refuse to take her and tell her she must travel in a black cab I would be denying her the right of choice that the Human Rights act affords her so my question is How do I, as a Licensed Private Hire Driver in a Licensed Private Hire Vehicle pick this lady and her luggage up and drop her at her destination without risking prosecution?

I would appreciate your guidance on this as soon as possible as I am picking the lady in question up twice on Tuesday and I need to be sure I am complying fully with the law when I take her as the terms and conditions of the license you issued me insist I do.


I already know the answer. I cannot legally pick her up or drop her off. However I want him to admit in writing that I am not legally allowed to do the job his office licensed me to do. Lets see what happens.

No comments: