Sunday, August 10, 2008

The season has started!


No I am not talking about the football season or anything as trivial as that. This is something far more important, the North American Racing Leagues Saturday season where 31 blokes from around the world meet up online on a Saturday night and race extremely fast cars.

This season we are racing Australian V8's on the same tracks they race in the real thing. Huge heavy overpowered saloons with no traction control and no anti lock brakes thundering around a variety of circuits.

Qualifying was at nine thirty, half an hour to get a fast lap in and get a good place on the grid. Or that is the idea anyway. Within ten minutes I gave up! The slowest of the others was over a second quicker than my personal best! So 750 practice laps, over 2000 miles of Adelaide street circuit and where was I on the grid? Last!

So while the others all jostled to get the best starting position I concentrated on the essentials. Pain killers because two hours without a break hurts! A revved up Rothman to relax me, nicotine chewing gum and water at the ready for the pit stops.

Happily I managed to do a bit better in the race than I did in qualifying and dripping with sweat and completely knackered I managed to finish 20th which I am quite happy with.

And thanks to Mr Wolf I had a gorgeous bird to hold my helmet for me!

No comments: