Tuesday, January 15, 2008

How can this be justified?

Well Castonya is safely tucked away in bed so now it's time for me to have my say.

When I was first diagnosed with cancer the only money I was getting was my statutary sick pay, £73 a week. They had turned down my claim for disability living allowance and I was getting too much money to qualify for income support! So I applied to get free prescriptions. But once again I was refused because I was getting too much money. On one occasion I came out of the doctors with a prescription for seven items and it cost me nearly £49 to have it filled, leaving me £24 to live on that week.

Yet if I had of lived in Wales it would have cost me nothing. Even if I was a millionaire rather than somebody with cancer trying to cope on a pittance if I lived in Wales I would get my prescriptions for free!

It gets worse. If my treatment isn't a success then any other treatment is just to let me live as long and as comfortably as possible. It would mean anothet dose of chemo eventually, maybe followed by radiotherapy. Then that would be it.

Unless I lived in Scotland. In which case drugs would be available to me on the NHS that would prolong my life for another 3 to 12 months. But I don't, I live in England, so these drugs are considered too expensive for me to have.

What this government is doing is a complete disgrace. They are witholding vital drugs from terminally ill English people and using the money they save to bribe Welsh voters into keeping them in their cushy well paid jobs.

I challange anybody to justify this.

No comments: