Sunday, March 09, 2008

I am Confused.

As I said a while back we apparantly have a binge drinking problem in this country. The governments solution? Put the price of alcohol up. Which leaves me very confused.

Are they saying that we have a binge drinking problem or are they saying that poor people have a binge drinking problem? If the problem is just among more people then yes I can see that putting up prices would help.

However I don't believe that the problem is just among more people. In fact my experience from driving mini cabs leads me to believe the opposite is true. The kids who I used to pick up from the clubs in Kingston, the kids fightinmg every Friday and saturday evening and turning Kingston town centre into a war zone were not poor. The poor can't afford the entrance fee to these clubs let alone the extortionate price of drinks.

So if the problem is not just confined to poor people then how does putting up the price of alcohol for everybody help?

It doesn't. It's just the latest excuse from the New Taxes party to take even more of our money. If you are a Labour voter or supporter you should hang your head in shame.

No comments: