Friday, March 16, 2007

I have to get something off my chest

The government in its infinite stupidity has decided that kids applying for university should have to reveal information such as ethnicity, whether they've been in care, whether their parents have been in higher education,...The transparent agenda being let's tick target boxes of who gets the privilege of totting up a pile of debt for the privilege of receiving what is everyone's right - a good education!

In my humble opinion as a white girl who was privileged to have a mix of state and private education [the latter only possible because my dad worked for the Civil Service and died unexpectedly so they paid my fees for the school that my parents were going to scrimp and save for simply because it was the better alternative where we lived - I'm keeping the location a secret but I'm sure Castonya will reveal it in due course]. I chose to go the local comprehensive to do my A levels and hoped to get to University on merit.

I did and because we were a low income family [my mum worked her heart out to keep us - no benefits, just honest toil], I got a full grant. It wasn't enough then [I refuse to give away my age and if C does he will incur my wrath!] - yes I had a blinding time but I worked for a living too [pub, restaurant, selling raffle tickets for Bristol Rovers FC] but I only left with a few hundred quid overdraft. Now they leave with a £10,000 debt.

So my point - education should be free and accessible to everyone and there should not be positive nor negative discrimination in relation to ethnicity, parents' educational backgrounds, etc.

No comments: