Thursday, March 15, 2007

I haven't had a rant for ages

It seems absolutely ages since I last had a good rant, but I am going to have one now. It might end up with the site getting closed down, which would be a pain, but there are plenty of other hosts for blogs nowadays and, to be quite honest, they couldn't possibly be worse than the pile of crap that blogger has become since google took over.

Now I am not a great fan of google anyway. this is the company that agreed to censor the search engines in China so nobody could complain about the government. The reason for this, the usual one, so they could boost their already obscene profits.

And then there is their search box and adsense scam. Basically you put a search box and some adverts on your site and when people use the search box or click on the adverts you get paid. But not until you have earnt $100. So I did this, reached ninety dollars and google closed my acount because the content was unsuitable. Now if they had done this at the start, before the thousands of uses of the search box, before the hundreds of clicks on the adverts, I wouldn't have a problem.

But the content on this site has been identical since day one. And the content was perfectably acceptable right up until it looked like they might actually have to pay me. It's a scam, a complete rip off that they get away with becuase if you complain they just close your site.

And now they have "improved" blogger. So now instead of my old eight letter username I have to log in using my full e-mail address, after of course creating a google acount with another lot of terms and conditions. And I have to do it everytime. It doesn't matter how many times I tick the remember me box I still have to enter my details everytime.

Then when it comes to posting the new improved interface has done away with some of the options, the copy one for instance, one that I use all the time but some dickhead in a suit somewhere has decided I don't need. And it's slower. Much slower.

And I bet I know whats coming next. There will be strict limits on bandwith and uploads, unless of course you "upgrade" by giving them your credit card details and paying them every month.

As I said, once the little spy bots google have scanning the net day and night bring this to their attention some prat in an office will probably close me down. But don't worry if they do. I would soon be back!

No comments: